- Avoid bright-colored outfits. Muted colors will minimize bee stings. Beware of beehives in trees, bushes and mounds.
- Avoid fragrances such as perfume and hair gel when hiking.
- Long sleeve shirts and pants are advisable.
- When encountering a bee swarm, remain calm. Move slowly and avoid sudden movements.
- Minor reactions to bee stings include redness, swelling, burning sensation, pain or slight itch.
- Serious reactions may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing and breathing, twitching, unconsciousness, fever, drop in blood pressure and coma.
- Remove the sting using a needle.
- Wash the wound with soap or iodine.
- Apply cold pack to reduce the swelling.
- Seek medical attention promptly.